Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Self Sufficiency at it's Finest

As some of you know, I decided to start finding myself again.  I've started to decorate my home in a way that makes it cozy, I've signed up for fun classes (sushi rolling/pottery), and now I'm starting a campaign to become more self-sufficient.

My quest to be self-sufficient starts with what I can do, completely, for myself and the first step is done.  I haven't spent money on store-bought lotions, chapsticks, or body scrubs in months because I make my own All Natural Bath & Beauty products.  If I can make lotion, then why can't I grow my own food?  I can easily cut about $300 a month off my grocery bills by growing my own.
I don't need the store to provide me with "organic" produce (let's face it, how can we be SURE it's organic, plus we don't know who has been touching or sneezing on it.)

If you follow me on Instagram, then you know that I've turned into (trying to turn into) a gardener.
I've started with the easy things indoors...
Yellow Pear Tomatoes & Zinnias -- I am BEYOND thrilled that these are growing.
Hot Peppers -- My second attempt. Pepper seeds/seedlings need to be kept at 75-80°F to grow properly; my first batch wasn't warm enough. Home Depot, Lowe's, and any garden store carries heating mats for your seedlings; so far I'm impressed!




Basil, Mint, Rosemary, Thyme,
Yellow Pear Tomatoes, Plum Tomatoes, Cosmos, Zinnias. These are in a Burpee Self-Watering Greenhouse System. I absolutely love Burpee for all of my gardening needs. They also sell Heirloom seeds; a major plus!!


I have some flowers thrown in because they match the planting timeline for these certain veggies.

Next week I'm going to start my Summer Squash, Pineberry, Strawberry, Dragon Tongue Beans, Bush Beans, and Okra seeds (there is a special old southern trick for the okra that you won't want to miss!) I'll be planting some of these in pots, so I'll be discussing container gardening and the easiness of it in an upcoming post.

Not only will I be saving money but I'll be living a healthier lifestyle. Do you have any ideas or tips for being self-sufficient and living frugally but not cheaply? Let me know in the comments! I love hearing new gardening and lifestyle ideas!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to enter my Starbucks Gift Card giveaway!

2 comments:

  1. Those look SO good! Aww. I thought they were super chocolately donuts, but it's dirt :( I can't wait for summer to eat fresh veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I wish they were super chocolately donuts!

      Delete