Thursday, October 15, 2015

Garlic Day part 1

Today is garlic planting prep day and, I must confess, I'm terrified. I have no idea what I'm doing. I hope this works out. I've never planted garlic before and after my potato failure and the murder of my onions  I just don't know if I'm a root vegetable type of gal (assistant to our main man that helps with our yard put a weed whacker in my FENCED onion bed and killed them all). Today I'm going to finish weeding, hand till with my trusty garden hoe, mix in chicken manure, used coffee grounds and our chickens' egg shells, water it all in, mix it again and make some raised rows. I'll place the garlic bulbs in the ground on Saturday. 
We are trying two types of garlic, Samarkand and Kettle River Giant; both are organic Heirloom varieties from Seed Savers Exchange. I did some math, and if all goes well, we'll end up with 15-22 pounds of garlic at harvest! 2-3 pounds will be saved for replanting and the rest will be eaten fresh or preserved. I can't wait.

Have you planted garlic? Or any root type of vegetable? What are your secrets to success?


CSA  Dreams/Crowd-sourcing-->Here

No comments:

Post a Comment