Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Natural Benefits of Essential Oils

As some of you may know, I am a huge fan of all things organic; natural healing methods included, some of which I'm going to share with you today.
I'm not a doctor, I'm not educated in Essential Oils or alternative medicines; I just know what I like. I have used the oils I'm about to write about, so I have some experience with them.

In this post, I'll be focusing on the healing properties of my 5 favorite Essential Oils.
1. Lavender
2. Peppermint
3. Rosemary
4. Rose
5. Eucalyptus

Lavender is an incredibly versatile herb, not only does it have many health benefits but it's also used in many natural household cleaners (a great germ killer!).
  • This oil's scent is very calming and helps lower blood pressure, tension and stress. Place some in a diffuser in your bedroom and let it soothe you to sleep.
  • Dab a drop or two of oil on your finger and lightly rub your temples to reduce migraines and headaches.
  • As a natural anti-inflammatory, dabbing a few drops on itchy, red, or swollen skin will quickly begin to reduce irritation. The same goes for minor cuts, scrapes, and puffy eyes!
Peppermint not only smells great, but it's also a decongestant and wonderful pain reliever.  I use peppermint oil a few times a week to relieve sinus pressure and stomach pains; it works wonders.
  • Put a few drops of Peppermint oil into a glass of water and drink to help relieve stomach cramps and ulcer pains.
  • The cooling properties of peppermint can reduce fever, by rubbing a drop on your forehead; this will also help clear your sinuses. Adding a drop of the oil to ice water and dabbing it on the sides of your nostrils will also help reduce congestion as well as nasal swelling.
  • Adding peppermint oil to lotions or body scrubs will revitalize dull and oily skin.
  • Drop some oil on a q-tip then rub on an aching tooth, it will numb the pain make your breath smell good.
Rosemary is great herb to eat and to apply topically to skin.
  • Adding Rosemary leaves to food will help calm stomach cramps and indigestion.
  • Rosemary helps relieve headaches, migraines, and mental fatigue, do this by adding the oil to lotions, scrubs, or by applying a drop of the oil to your temples.
  • Applying Rosemary topically will remove dry skin while revitalizing and toning it.
  • Put this oil in a diffuser to help with respiratory problems. The scent helps relieve congestion and cold like symptoms. 
Rose Oil is bright and fresh, just like the flower. It's used as an antidepressant, aphrodisiac, skin revitalizer, and has plenty of other benefits.
  • Use as an aromatherapy treatment to help brighten your mood. Rose oil's scent keeps anxiety at bay and will keep you energized and happy.
  • Rose oil will boost almost anyone's libido ;)
  •  It also promotes blood circulation, which can reduce inflammation and redness of the skin. Put Rose oil in a carrier oil, such as Sweet Almond or Apricot Oils, and apply it to your skin. If you do this once a day you will notice your skin becoming brighter and healthier looking.  
Eucalyptus has many medicinal properties, some of which include being a decongestant and an analgesic.
  •  Dabbing Eucalyptus oil, diluted in water or carrier oil(Sweet Almond Oil, Sunflower Oil) on the sides of the nostrils will alleviate sinus pressure and congestion. This is also an effective way to help relieve bronchitis and asthma symptoms.
  • Massage this oil on aching joints and muscles to relieve the pain; Eucalyptus is a natural pain killer. If you have arthritis, this is a great healing method to try.
  • Dab oil on bug bites or small wounds to disinfect and stop the itching.

I hope I've been able to provide some knowledge and interest on these few oils that I hold near to my heart (and health.) I swear by them, but don't only take my opinion, try it yourself. It's really easy to get Essential Oils. I have 2, organic, go-to websites for them: YoungLiving.com and LuckyVitamin.com. If you don't want to purchase your own Essential and Carrier Oils I have a few options in my Organic Skin Care Shop that does feature a lot of the oils I just wrote about.

Rosemary Mint Lotion & Mint Eucalyptus Lip Butter
Organic Peppermint Scrub for Hands and Feet

 In my next Healthy Living post I'll be speaking about Stress and natural, effective ways to lessen it.



2 comments: